4/25/07

Proud to be a Yankee

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I'm super sophisticated, but when I read an article like this I feel like Princess Grace.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/23/turner.prom/index.html

I guess living in New York (or the Northern half of the country for that matter), I tend to forget that there are still people in the US that still have a 19th century mentality about things. Hell, the fact that there are people that still used the term "colored people" is amazing to me.

I really do feel bad for all the kids in that school. The black kids are going through life being treated like second class citizens in their own hometown. It really disgusts me. Meanwhile, these white kids are going to go out into the real world and be shocked every time they see a black businessman or a black politician. I would imagine that, unless they plan on spending life in that shitty little town, these white kids aren't going to function well out here with the rest of us.

I get the feeling these people think this is news because they are participating in integration, but it's really that we just in awe of their ignorance.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I love that they are "...finally getting to try something new" this year. Imagine that...desegregation.

*sigh*