9/21/07

It Must Be Friday

You know, I had a nice day at work, and I got to leave right on time. Yay, right?

No, wrong. I get on the Northway (at the very beginning) and traffic is stopped. Now, all of the annoying, driving-impaired motorists/tourists should be back in New Jersey and Quebec by this time of year, so I'm quite frankly baffled by this traffic.

I have Sirius in my car, so I call my mother to get the scoop. Nothing. So much for the drawback of satellite radio being that you don't get those super accurate traffic reports.

Twenty minutes later I'm slowly and not-so-surely approaching exit 6 when I see plumes of black smoke overhead. Then, a firetruck races up the right shoulder, shortly followed by one up the left shoulder. Shit. I'm never getting home.

About 10 cars in front of me, they shut down not one, not two but all three f'ing lanes of the Northway, so now I have to make my way from the left lane to the exit ramp. And all of the super awesome other drivers were so cool to let me go.*

Thankfully, the fire was right under the exit overpass, so I was able to get right back on at exit 6 at which time (since the highway was closed behind me) I was able to do 80 the rest of the way home. Here's a photo from the local news of the clusterfuck:




*sarcasm

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Wow. Nice minivan.

j said...

Yeah, I don't think anyone was hurt, so it's probably all for the better.