12/1/07

Salt

If you live in a place where the weather doesn't dictate when you put your Christmas lights out (i.e. "If I don't do it this weekend, I won't be able to get to my lamppost again until April"), then my subject line is merely a seasoning.

If, however, you spend five months out of the year having the following discussion with perfect strangers in line at the Price Chopper: "Bob Kovachick said two feet. Yeah, two feet! I'll have to get up and start shoveling at 4 am just to get to work on time!" then it's the substance that eats away at your ride and forces you to quickly learn how to maneuver your car over the ice at the exit of the car wash.

Last night we had our first dusting of snow, and it was significant enough to warrant local road crews to distribute a healthy layer of salt on the roads. I am so freaking relieved, because we are due to get somewhere between one and thirteen inches of snow (thanks for narrowing that down) starting tomorrow afternoon. Now that the roads are treated, I have a snowball's chance (no pun intended) of getting to work in under 45 minutes on Monday.

And yes, I have gotten up at 4 am to shovel two feet of snow off my driveway on several occasions. And yes, I get to work on time. There's no such thing as a snow day in upstate New York unless you go to school or work for the State.

Bring it on Old Man Winter!!!

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Yeah - if we got any of those inches - 1 or 13, this place would be shut down for days. I've seen 1/4" close schools and businesses. I've heard that a freak storm of 20" shut down the town for nearly a week! Hilarious!

I miss Bob. He rocks.

j said...

Bob is good for forecasts and Paul is good for lookin' at!

Vicky, Ken, Kiyomi said...

As winters go, Washington, DC has to be one of the most odd areas.

I've been lucky enough to experience winter in Derry (NH), Suffern (NY), Mahwah (NJ), Columbia (MD), Daytona (FL), San Francisco (CA), Hanford (WA), and Washington (DC). For the roughest winters, that goes to Derry, NH. I was going to school in -30'F and having the blood vessels in my nose freeze, crack, and bleed (despite the scarf). For easiest winters, that goes to Daytona.

For dumbest winters, that goes to Washington, DC. This area has such an eclectic mix of cultures, drivers, and temperaments, that driving is nigh impossible in a heavy rain. As a mix of elevations (MD, DC, VA) and storm tracks, and we get 6 inches in Loudoun County while DC gets nary a dusting.

This last storm was one such beast:
First Snow of Winter 2007 in Washington, DC.
It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to get from Union Station in DC to Sterling, VA. It took Vicky 3 hours and 10 minutes to drive from Sterling to Falls Church using only Rt 7. People here are "batshit insane" about snow.

This morning I was awake by 4:20, on the road by 4:45, and at work by 6. I had it easy: only icy sheets in my neighborhood, and black ice on the way to the Metro. My fellow co-workers, a few hours later, took hours longer. We've already had 5 call-ins from people working from home today.

And yet here I am...