6/30/07

Just Plain Tacky

Let me preface this post by saying that I got married 8 years ago. We had almost 200 people at our wedding and after a one week honeymoon, we returned, spent a day recovering from jet lag and then wrote a personalized thank you note for each and every single gift that we received (i.e. "Dear Uncle Carl and Aunt Mavis, Thank you for the beautiful crystal clock, which will look amazing on our mantle. We would also like to thank you for spending our special day with us, it meant so much to have our friends and family join us.") All of our thank you notes were in the mail within 8 days of the wedding.

Now, we went to a wedding two weeks ago, and there were less than 100 people in attendance. Considering that we didn't know the bride and groom (we know the parents) we gave what I believe to be an incredibly generous cash gift. Today, we received our thank you note in the mail, and I was very impressed that we got it so fast (I'm still waiting for a thank you from a gift that I gave 9 years ago.) So, I open the note, and imagine my surprise when I find a pre-printed generic thank you note! So generic, in fact, that the bride and groom didn't even bother to write "Dear Carl and Mavis,". They basically signed the bottom of the note, stuck it in an envelope and stuck it in the mail. They could have signed those things months ago, before they even knew who was going to be at the wedding!

I am so disgusted right now, I don't even know what else to say. We suffered through a ceremony packed in a chapel with no air conditioning on a 87 degree day that we had to drive 40 minutes into the boondocks to get to, and then listen to two stupid kids talk like they invented love, then drive 40 minutes back to civilization to attend a reception with terrible food... I at least expect the fucking bride and groom to whip out a pen and write me a fucking thank you note.

People never cease to amaze me with their white trashiness.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Oh My God. I am so offended for you. That is completely unacceptable, tacky, and inconsiderate. You were by far the most prompt friend with the thank you notes and I hold you up as the Golden Standard.

Canned thank you notes are total bullshit.

And just to prove that we aren't old bitches...from Emily Post (http://emilypost.com/weddings/etiquette/postings/wedding_thankyous.htm)

"What stationery should be used?
First of all, stationery is the operative word here: No fill-in-the-blank cards, no pre-printed cards, no phone calls, no emails and no generic post on your website!"

Why is a thank you note so hard to write? Seriously? I too am still waiting for a note from that wedding from 9 years ago...as I am also waiting for a note from one of the weddings in which I was Maid of Freaking Honor. *sigh*